Sunday, February 20, 2011

two parts crow and one part crone...

Sunday, February 20, 2011.

A woman named Misty popped in to my office one day this week. She came with a textbook and an invitation to attend a training program all about caring for pre-term and unwell newborns. She also had a little story to tell me about how a certain doctor was rumored to have said she thought the training opportunity should have gone to another doctor, not to the midwife. She said I must be a brave woman to be here, doing this...

What can I say? one part brave and two parts crazy I think. Its my job... I have been hired to push my way in through the resistance, to begin the creation of a space for midwives in this town. I am not here because the doctors wanted me. I am not here for the nurses. I believe that I am here because the people told their government that they wanted midwives, that they wanted their own midwives. The government has heard them and I applied for this position. So here I am.

I am just the crow on the prow of this icebound ship. Behind me I have all the support that I need. All the midwives that have gone before me in this land, may I truly honour them as I go forward, all the young Inuit women who may come along now, may I teach them well, the hands-on skills of midwives. Trying to show the doctors and the nurses that this is the way that it should be. Women having babies should be cared for by the women of their own community. Empowerment of Inuit women is the best way to preserve what is left of this culture. Spring is coming, the ice will melt, the waves will soften and begin to sway.

I saw a sign today. Well more of a poster really. I really liked it. It was an image of three very strong and healthy looking young athletic men. It boldly stated: "Strong men don't hurt women. Do you?" Oh, it excites me to see this. To know that women here are standing up and saying NO, this is not okay! I will not be your punching bag!

One part crazy and two parts heart. I want to be an ally, a friend and a teacher, to these women. At least for a while. I also want to fly home and be close to the warm arms of my girlfriend and my family.

2 comments:

  1. Still the twins at work, eh? But now it seems you are split into three pieces - how much of you is in the North, present and paying attention; and how much is yearning to be in the South?

    I hope that all your heart is in your work, because I know and believe you can achieve what your practice leads you to do up there. You have a gift Martha. Stay the course, be - don't just want to be, please. Think of Daisy's daughter, and her future, and all the futures around and about her.

    You are a Raven - bigger and shiny-darker, all seasons, all voice, wiser and crazy smart. Use what you know, what you see, what you intuit... get out and be about. Women energy is human energy. Talk to the mayor, talk to the women around the town... go on CBC. Go public. Let freedom ring.

    Daisy's mother could help you... Rachel and all the other midwives are there for you... ask for effective help. Surround the doctors and nurses with support and at the same time, swallow them with substantial awareness of the need and generosity of Inuit women for midwifery care and education.

    I know, pushy me, pushy... what the hell do I know?
    I cannot tell you what to do, how to do it, or anything of the sort. If you want to know some of my connections to cross pollinate with other women, just ask. I know they will be there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and just how many formula do you really want to put forward?? Crone, raven, crazy, heart, north, south, yearn, love, brave, split. I want to throw in a few more - do not overlook: patient, loving, kind, smart, strong, compassionate, crafty, headstrong, rebellious, fun-loving, generous, lovely.:

    Get hold: the Twins need some good earth to hold onto; trust that your lover will not abandon you and stick to your focus. Be THERE now, please.

    ReplyDelete